I recently found myself with a surplus of Adafruit Industries components, I decided to put a few of them to good use by making a custom NES controller.
- Use a thru-hole 5-way navigation switch.
- Use some square tactile buttons.
- Create a custom Eagle device for the navigation switch.
- Use a strip of SMD 0603 10k resistors.
- Use a single-sided 65×65 MM square board (since I have a bunch of them).
The design is fairly simple, the only difference between it and a standard controller would be the use of the Center pin on the navigation switch as the Select button.
I had to resort to using quite a lot of jumper wires since the board is pretty small, it should also work fine on a double sided board (just not very efficiently).
The controller works great! Though it could use some routing to make it more comfortable.